View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 10:29 AM

Default The Honesty and Bankroll Thread

Thought this needed to be said.

At times, i have played far above my bankroll.

I have deposited 2 buyins and built a bankroll from that

I have also deposited 2 buyins and lost it all while starting out. i sucked. i did this a few times.

The current roll I'm playing off (roll 2 after i killed my ancient 50NL roll buying a projector) came from a $500 deposit. after depositing, I decided to play 100NL. I knew my ROR would be higher. That was OK with me.

To those advocating a massive bankroll (20 buyins etc.) as a minimum, that's fine for a new game with a possibly low winrate, but IMO if you're building roll and know you're beating a game badly, it's probably better for you long-run if you take on a little more risk to get to an appropriate level where you can make decent money.

If you're playing under bonuses (as you should) I think you can get away with a much smaller starting roll.

Maybe this is because i just run good like a lucksack fish. I can honestly say that in all the poker i've played, i've never lost more than 6 buyins. It could be that I'm quick to leave if i feel myself tilting or it could be that im just amazingly lucky compared to most players. Every time i hear about a big slide, i hear "well, i ran bad, but i played bad too" and i think that it's a copout. maybe that 12 buyin slide was really only a 4 buyin slide that got magnified by tilt.

I guess the safe answer will always be a sklansky-esque 20 buyins etc., but honestly almost nobody plays SSNL for a living and those who do are obviously much better BR'd than that. I know I personally would not be where I am now had i not taken risks and i feel a little guilty and hypocritical standing by while good players are told that 25NL is the ceiling for their $500 roll. If you're willing to take on extra risks for a purpose at SSNL games (caveat: not bigger, higher variance ones) then I say do it.

fim