View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Books on the stock market

[ QUOTE ]
One of the classics is Peter Lynch's One Up On Wall Street. He talks about buy and hold of solid companies you know. Good read. Ben Graham's The Intelligent Investor is truly the all time classic. It has been revised. Those two should get ya started.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Peter Lynch book is a good, light read. Very popular, and has some good ideas. The problem is that the one big things people take away from it is "invest in what you know". So they go out and buy companies that make products they like w/o gettting deep enough into the business model or financials. I think that book by itself has lost people more money in the market than maybe any other.

The Intelligent Investor is a great book, but a very dry read. I think most people are aware that Ben Graham was Warren Buffett's mentor. Phil Fisher was Buffett's other big investing influence and I consider his book "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits" to be at least as good as Graham's. Another good easy read with very good ideas is "Winning the Investment Marathon" by Brad Perry.

edit: Add John Neff on Investing to my list as well.