View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Pzhon\'s Post about Math and Nerds

I'm repeating this from the bottom of the math nerds thread so that more people will see it. His statement is stronger than mine and he is more qualified to know about the subject in question. I'd like to see comments. Especially from mackthefork and Andy Fox.

Quote:

"Mathematical nerds typically end up with vast exposure to the subject that interests them but little exposure to the arts, philosophy, literature, history or psychology. Which is why many end up with few people skills and are loners. If they took a modest percentage of their intelligence and applied it to the study of the "liberal arts" they would emerge as better individuals, capable of leading people and influencing people."

In my experience, almost all mathematics majors spend a lot of time studying the arts, philosophy, literature, etc. Few humanities majors take many substantial classes in mathematics or science. However, people still feel compelled to assume that any strength comes with a weakness. It's greatly upsetting to people to realize that someone may be better than them in every academic category. Luckily for them, a well-rounded intellect usually comes with a frail physique, or at least small genitals. Not. Stereotypes of illiterate engineers comfort insecure people, but they are not based in fact.

Quick: What is the average verbal SAT score of a Caltech freshman? Answer: About 730.