View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: How much money do you need?

[ QUOTE ]
Oye Vey. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2002 the avg annual wages in the U.S. were $36,764.

Here is a link I found from 1999 that states (in 1995 dollars) that the top 5% have pretax income of $276,000 (more than twice the $125,000 figure mentioned here, and it's likely higher now in 2005, than when this study was done) Top 5% Mentioned Here

If you're in the top 5% of wage earners I don't want to hear any bellyaching that you have trouble affording your million-dollar friggin homes, or that because you make more money you spend more money and thus aren't "wealthy". Gimme a friggin break.

"No sir, I'm not wealthy, I spent all my money on these new BMW's, this four-bedroom home with a heated indoor pool and I'm forced to buy my work shirts at WalMart because of it!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is my source:

http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/pub/irs-soi/01in01ts.xls

This is 2001 IRS data for adjusted gross income, which would be a little lower than gross income (includes certain deductions, but not the major itemized or standard deducations), but not as much as your numbers seem to make it. Not sure what accounts for the difference, but am open to being so informed.

As to your last paragraph, it is difficult to argue with you if you don't understand the difference between income and wealth. Oh, and by the way, you are the one bellyaching, not me. I pay my fair share of the tax burden and keep moving on trying to do better and better.

NCAces