View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: another stupid moving up post

You need more than the approximately 185 BBs you have right now before you move up to 3/6. As Nick said, this is less of a concern if you don't mind reloading out of pocket, but it is still most definitely a concern.

I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again: the move up from 2/4 to 3/6 is the toughest one you'll face as a small/medium stakes limit hold'em player. The games are much more aggressive, you will find yourself in far more short-handed situations on the flop, and the aggresion you face will be much more focused (in other words, the bluffs will actually be believeable fairly often). While the lower limits (and yes, the higher limits) generally allow you to adjust with only minor tweaks to the playing style you're used to, 3/6 involves learning whole new skill sets that were mostly or completely unnecessary at 2/4 and below. This is not a jump that you want to make too quickly.

I would recommend that you continue to slog your way through 2/4 for the time being, building your bankroll & fine-tuning your game. Go ahead and take some shots at 3/6 while you're at it if you'd like (assuming you're keeping a buddy list of poor players, a great way to take a shot is to follow one of your buddies to a 3/6 table), but with the understanding that it's just a shot until you have the proper (300 BB) bankroll to make the move completely. While you're at it, I'd recommend playing some 1/2 6max (as always, I'm assuming you play on the party skins; if you're on a different site which offers 2/4 6max, that would be even better). 6max experience will give you a huge head start for the higher levels, as you'll learn proper aggression, how to play mediocre hands with position, and how to steal blinds & defend against steal attempts.