View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: betting enough to commit villan to call

First things first... with a coordinated board, you HAVE to either bet out or check/raise. You cannot let a flush draw get a cheap look at the turn.

Next, your call on the flop early in the tournament could mean a LOT of things. Many bad players will make bad calls here, and if you have no read on him, he probably doesn't have much of a read on you, so he could be putting you on anything from an OESD to a flush draw, to two pair or a set. When he bets half the pot on the turn, I have to put him on a K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], most likely. When you raise and he reraises allin, I definitely put him on one of three hands: 33, A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]2 or 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], or K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Unless the table has been REALLY tight or he's really passive preflop, then he may limp with AA, KK, or A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to try to get some action... but I really can't put him on those hands. If he has the flush draw with a pair, he has 8 outs... one [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], the Ace or King that he doesn't have, gives you the full house. If he has 33, he has one out.

Anyway, in my experience, a lot of players overplay their draws early in a tournament in hopes of accumluating a big stack or going out early. I'm guessing this is what happened here.