View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Default Re: A high call, and extracting with quads - 100NL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Would a good player really fold for an extra $4 into a $24 pot?
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, with anything other than 10-10.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So check minraising against good players is a foolproof bluff play?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a very interesting point. The reasons it doesn't usually work are:

1. it promotes calling, which obviously is not what you want with a bluff. maybe if you continue by betting big on the turn/river you can get a lay down.

2. the other problem is that sometimes people just won't get off their hand. for instance AK might not fold a A98 board to a minraise and call down bets because he thinks TPTK is the nuts.

the big thing in this hand anyway is to build a pot you want someone else betting. a minraise usually slows people way way down unless they have a great hand as well. in this situation, you have the deck crippled. without a flush/straight card coming or someone holding TT, your minraise is going to dry up the betting. what you want is drawing hands calling/betting and the guy with a T to keep betting as well. the guy with the T isn't going to keep betting if you minraise. i think that sums it up pretty well.

if you want to build the pot, then raise original guy up, that might look like a T. however, once the SB bets, i think i call down the flop, hope button bets turn, and go big on the river.