View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: The Fallacy of Good vs. Evil: Christianity is inherently flawed

[ QUOTE ]
You crazy Manichean! Burn him at the stake!

Why do you say that it is not good for God to allow evil though? Say that he has 2 options: forcing all the angels and men to obey, or giving them freedom to choose. Going with the latter option allows the possibility of evil, but it also allows a fuller existence of good. If the good that arises is worth "more" than the evil, the good choice would be to allow evil to exist. Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be happy to discuss the problem of free will with you, but staying specifically with the concept of good vs. evil, having a ONE god that is good, does not directly rule out that a BAD can occur. I'll try to make this less semantical because it's sometimes hard to discuss without properly defining all these terms that we're flinging around.

I personally have no problem saying that a good and evil can exist together. The specific problem I'm pointing out is based on the flawed concept that these are competing forces, which if they are, no longer makes God a ONE. For if God were a one, and evil, the opposite of good existed, it would no longer make God good, for within that one evil would exist. Let's not confuse in free will principles here, just stay with the reason.

Now if you want to say that God is good and is ONE, but an evil exist which is LESS than the good, you are still stuck with the same problem. It's again not to say that a BAD cannot exist, but that they cannot be competing forces.