View Single Post
Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM

Default Re: How did I play this hand? (total newbie)

I'll be slightly harsh, but don't take offense. I know their are a bunch of posters who only bash your post with no helpful information, but I'll try to help you out and wake you up a bit at the same time.

One of the biggest mistake losing poker players make is going too far with their hands. They should be folding, but they get raised and call, call, call.

The only thing the flop got you was a backdoor flush draw (backdoor draws are draws where you need help on both the turn and river)-- not even a pair. You should have let go of your hand the minute your opponent bet. Not only is Ace-high a bad hand, its a TERRIBLE hand when somebody who limped in suddenly bets on a rather ragged flop.

Unless your almost positive a raise will scare out your opponent if you believe he's bluffing, you should have let go on the turn and especially the river-- but you didn't. You were willing to pay off double bets, i'm guessing because AJo looks like a nice hand... the wake up call is that AJo is not such a solid hand. It's often dominated and this time offsuit.

Even if your only playing for 2/4 cents, developing a habit like calling too often with nothing is a VERY bad habit.

I would advise you to just stop playing right now, and head on to your local Barnes And Noble or any major bookstore and pick up a copy of "Small Stakes Hold 'Em" by Ed Miller. If your making errors this costly, you need to fix it. That book is the key to small stakes domination.

Hope it help,
Take care.