View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: QQ: Still lost in these situations

It was recommend that I grunch more, so here goes.

Our possible actions:

Check-Fold: This would be an incredibly weak play. Folding a strong pair to one overcard is a good way to never win any big pots.

Check-Call: We're seriously OOP, so we could check and call a bet, but this doesn't help us gain any real useful btion about what we're up against. UTG+1 would likely check to Button who would bet. He could have a K or it could be a position bet. Either way, it doesn't help us win the hand.

Check-Raise: If we think Button might bet, this could be an effective way of folding UTG+1. Choosing to check-raise in this spot will require some reads on our opponents. Is UTG+1 likely to check through? Is Button likely to bet? Is UTG+1 likely to fold against two cold? This might be a good option if the answer seems to be yes.

Bet-Fold: Opening with a bet here is a possibility. I don't think it will get anyone to fold, but we could reasonably fold to a reraise.

Bet-Call: Again, we could lead out with the intention of calling a reraise. This is better than Bet-Fold, because we have a backdoor diamond flush draw. If we call a reraise we can decide whether to continue based on the turn card.

Considering these options, I like the line of trying for a check-raise on the flop if we think a bet from the button is likely. If not, we should lead out and call a reraise and decide or next step based on the turn card.

---

Based on your actions of leading out on the flop and turn you have two options on the river:

Bet- If we bet we'll likely only be called by a king. A reraise would be bad.

Check-Call- Many loose-passive players will bet on the end with very little, so we can call a bet behind us without necessarily fearing a king.

I like the line of a check-call on the river, folding if it's two to us.