View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 02:28 PM

Default Re: Strategy in tournaments with beginners

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry to blabber on, but does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking it would probably be better to just steer clear of games like these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, it's just not possible anymore to do that. Think about the WSOP around and how many beginners are there...I remember seeing a hand from the first day where an opponent reraised Ferguson with K9, then ended up calling his all-in. Ferguson held AA.

Generally I think it comes down to post-flop play. I am amazed at how many continuation bets will win on the flop. So I think toning down your pre-flop bet size with marginal hans is usally the best idea.

I think the bigger your hand, the bigger the raise should be preflop. While this may sound crazy, any beginner will call with any pocket pair. Doesn't matter. If you are holding KK and blinds are 100-200, make it 1600 to go. Then you force out the hands that can beat you after the flop (10-J suited for example) and will only get called by hands you have dominated. With a standard raise against a small pocket pair, any flop will usually scare them off unless they hit their set. And when they do hit their set if you have an overpair, chances are you are going to pay them off anyway. So it's generally better to extract as much money from them preflop as possible.