View Single Post
Old 07-31-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Optimal Tournament Statistics (VPIP / PFR, etc)

This post applies to both MTT and SNG statistics in PokerTracker.

I am a winning player in cash games. I am a losing player in tournaments. It's not something I'm particularly proud of, but it's a fact. I've recently decided to stop being a hold em player and start being a poker player. I'm branching out first to tournaments, with Stud, Omaha, 2-7 Triple Draw etc to follow.

In my cash game play, I can easily examine stats like my BB/100 for KJo on the button because the game never changes. It's always a simple 5/10 blind structure and I am in no danger of going broke nor do I need to worry about getting in the money. In tournament play, I suspect the situation fluctuates too wildly for statistics to be readable, but if there are statistics I can read to determine how plays are doing, I'd like to know what they are.

The main reason I'm looking for these statistics is that with a -ROI (which I have), it's easy to find that I'm a losing player. But am I misplaying AJs in level 3, or am I misplaying 99 in level 6? It's hard to tell for me. Are there specific numbers I should be looking for, as far as VPIP with a hand in a level, or RFI, or... well honestly, you tell me? But are there numbers I can use to analyze the abstract concept of "playing well" like I can in a ring game?