View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 01:56 PM

Default Re: 4 to the nut flush

This is one (among many) I am struggling with: when to raise on the flop with a very strong drawing hand versus when to wait until the turn. Part of my problem is doing the math regarding what odds I am giving my opponents on the flop versus the turn. So, any help with these issues are greatly appreciated. That said, I'll give it a go.

I generally would raise here because I have 2-card nut flush draw plus a strong overcard (and backdoor straight), and the pot is large, so I want to knock out as many hands as possible. However, do I have a better chance by raising here on the flop or on the turn?

If I raise on the flop, SB's immediate pot odds are 10-to-1, perhaps not enough to call a gutshot ( but probably enough given implied odds?); UTG and CO are at 20-to-1. So I'm probably just looking at possibly knocking out SB -- who may be strong, though, judging from his flop raise.

If I call the flop (and if SB calls), then I will assume it will be one bet to me on the turn, and that a blank will fall. If I raise the turn, then it will be 6.5-to-1 back to the non-bettor(s), and now if the non-bettor(s) has a gutshot, he would be wrong to call.

Given my analysis, I wait until the turn to raise, and only call on the flop.