View Single Post
Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: If Annie Duke got divorced, shouldn\'t she be Annie Lederer once again?

My mom kept my Dad's last name after the divorce, and still retains it to this day. There are few reasons I can think of:

1) My mother had two kids at the time of the divorce; my brother and myself (I was six, my brother nine). She felt it would be psychologically better for my brother and I if she kept the name. We had just gone through the family being torn apart, why create more confusion for us kids? Plus she was afraid changing her name might create a sense of separation between her and the two of us (her's being Willer, and us two retaining the Martin name). I think Annie Duke has kids, so it's something to consider.

2) My mom's maiden name was Willer, Marjorie Willer. Now it's Marjorie Martin. Which has a better ring to it? I think, and she thinks, the latter has better sound to it, probably because both names start with the letter "M." Marjorie Martin.

3) Lastly, it's a pain in the arss getting everthing that's already in your name changed: drivers licence, the deed to your home, social security, insurance claims, etc..

-dsm