View Single Post
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Default The ultimate way to outplay your oponent

Theory discussion got a bit off topic in another thread ( this one ), so I'm posting it here.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Svar på:</font><hr />
The way to ultimately outplay someone else is to make it so that it is impossible to outplay you. Therefore, your goal is to only give your opponent neutral EV decisions. Then he can make a bad move which will allow you to make a +EV decision but which again leaves him with only neutral EV decisions. Therefore, your goal should be to make a move such that for your hand range in the particular setting it doesnt matter whether he calls, raises, or folds, because they should all be neutral EV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't agree with this. As I see it, to only offer neutral EV decitions is not optimal if you know your oponents tendencies/errors (and you should). Then optimal play is to prey on them, by offering villain an oportunity to make a mistake that you know he's likely to make. (It might sound like we are talking about play with the hole cards face up, a la the fundamental theroem of poker scenario, but this, as well as the fundamental theorem obviously, applies whether hole cards are turned face up or down.)

What do you think?