View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 08:28 AM

Default Re: what do you guys think of this?

CreamPuff said:
Well we have to go back and consider that the SB
will be reraising a certain %...say 25%..Forcing
us out....So overall, the BB may be playing less
than 40% 3 handed...Im still not sure if S&M's
numbers add up, but its just a factor
I didnt see Jason mention.

Hmmm...I see what you're saying. When I read S&M, I interpret what they are saying differently from above. But, it might just be awkwardly worded. Either way, it needed some clarification.

Creampuff said:
Your opp's turn strategy should often dictate how
you decide to play preflop from the BB...Its probably
the most important factor...Yet not much if any
emphasis was placed on this by S&M or Jason.

I think the turn play is very important, but I wouldn't say it should dictate preflop play. I think what you're saying is: If your opponent is taking advantage of position well, then you should play fewer hands, and vice versa.

Tighter play preflop keeps players out of trouble. Marginal hands are lessened. That's the main reason I suggest it. However, I think 40% is the baseline. S&M are correct about that. In my own play, where I believe I can minimize the positional disadvantage, I would play more than 40%.

Also, I don't place much credence on stat programs, especially when the ability to take advantage of position is considered. JXs, T6s, K6o, etc. do not play well after the flop. They miss the flop often and then must be folded against most opponents. But stat programs will say they are winners. Not against my typical opponent. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

--Jason