View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: a theoretical question

Let me reply to my own post to add some things.

The reason why the kind of example I discussed is unlikely to work is because the dead money in the pot is small. So the gain I get from folding out the BB is piddling compared to what I lose when he happens to call me with his newly tightened range. If we were to increase the dead money in the pot - consider a bubble situation with a short stack on the BB, a button steal raise to 4 BBs that he will make with any two, and I push 12 BBs over the top from the SB, say, as an example of a situation that might be relevant - then it's possible that this could work. So it doesn't have to be an SB vs. BB situation. The main thing I'm interested in is can we come up with a situation where I don't know villain's cards but I still benefit from flipping over my hand before he makes his decision. I think this reraise of a steal is probably where it's at if such a thing is possible, although it might require the hypothetical BB to make some weird assumptions about what I'm going to do. It's also mildly strange that I'm assuming that both players involved have such definite reads, but since that's a type of information that is more plausible for them to have I don't think it's such a big deal.