View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Theory post: Stop and go. Pot control OOP

probably the stop and go i use most often is OOP w/ an overpair i might bet 3/4-pot, then if called, check call turn and lead river (leading river means folding if raised). this obviously depends a lot on board texture, but it works especially well if you had an overpair, they were overplaying TPTK, and a draw completes in the end they're just looking to show down their hand, too.

i'll also take this line with a set very often, of course there i'm looking to get raised on the flop and hence the pot should be bigger so my river lead should be for most of my remaining stack. this is against good opponents who will lay down overpairs to too much aggression. a lot of peopl ewant to check raise the turn here and i think that has its merits but if the opponent is tight, they are less likely to call a turn raise than a larger river bet because, well, it's the last bet they have to call!

as for the AA bet/get raised thing... i like the line you presented a lot. this has many merits. one it slows down anything but two pair or a set on the turn. two it doesn't let people get a cheap draw by raising on the flop. in this case i'd likely lead a little more than half on the turn then maybe about half on the river, since half pot is more common for rivers and looks less like a blocking bet than if you did it on the turn. of course yes fold to aggression here.

all of these lines (Except the set), and most stop and go's involve folding to aggression. YOu have to make sure your opponent isn't one to take a lead as a sign of weakness, which many do, and pounce on that. This is why I like also doing it with sets sometimes and having your opponents know that you do that, which can be tough, especially online.