Thread: TUAN LE
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 09:52 AM

Default Re: TUAN LE

If I'm wrong, please correct me, but the only math involved in poker that I've used isn't anything beyond arithemetic (figuring out pot size, figuring out size of bet compared to size of pot, better known as pot odds) and simple probability. Even the non-math-inclined people out there can do these sorts of calculations on the fly with a bit of practice. I'll admit that I'm majoring in math right now and even I had to read HPFAP to realize that I could do better in my Thursday night poker game with simple math. But it doesn't seem impossible to me for someone to figure out with time that they shouldn't chase when the pot is small, that their opponent could be holding a range of different hole cards with some being more likely than others, etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Tuan (if he is telling the truth) probably applies a rough math based on past experience, reads, and the relative size of the pot, rather than actually crunching any numbers. I'd be interested to hear what other people think.