View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: Limit for me to play or stick to NL?

[ QUOTE ]
I've played ABC poker to the upmost. I haven't bluffed more than semi-bluffs unless it's really clear the guys weak...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, straightforward play is probably best at those kind of limits... but that doesn't really matter to the point I was trying to make. It doesn't matter how good you are, if you play under-bankrolled you are risking going bust. You have 4.5 buy-ins for the limits you are playing. Really you need 15-20 to be safe. Large swings are not unusual in NLHE, in fact they should be expected.

I just ran a quick search of the small stakes NL forum, here are a few posts from the last couple of months about people having large downswings:

10 buy in downswing

Worst downswing for 100NL playing multi-tables

How long have you ran bad? Around 15,000 hands and counting for me

Anything like this would wipe you out. There are a number of people posting in those threads who believe they are winning players, at the limits you are playing, who have had runs of bad cards that have cost them much more than your entire bankroll.

[ QUOTE ]
so I'm kind of scared of the move up, though I think eventually I have to make it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't play for stakes you aren't comfortable with. Especially if you are under-bankrolled! Step down a limit, build a bankroll, and don't turn into this guy.

Edit: Fixed the URLs