View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 12:56 AM

Default Re: Playing a draw against a LAG, trying to pick up bluff outs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Villian is extremely laggy (70/27), but will fold on occassion.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

The theory here was that I wanted to CR him to represent the J/10 or a possible big draw to pick up phantom bluffing outs. I was pretty confident he was not on a flush draw or a pair, or I would have seen a flop reraise for sure. I figure he has picked up a draw or a pair on the turn.

When the J comes on the river, I bet out intending to fold to a raise, as one of my phantom outs has come in and the pot is big enough to stab at. He surprised me with his call.

Thoughts?

~ Tilts

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I hate just about all of this. A flop c/r is a sign of weakness, not strength IMO. If you really want to add some folding equity, pull this on the turn when a brick hits.

You say this guy is a massive LAG, why are you firing back at him with K-high? I let this guy bet the whole way and hope I catch and then c/r him. IMO your turn bet sucks against a guy like this. The river bet is beyond comprehension IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's these absolutes that really bug me about the strategy posts on here. It's really "beyond your comprehension" to bet the river? Truly?

I have been representing a jack or a 10 the whole way. The draws on board all miss, a 3rd jack comes, and I bet out because I probably cannot win the pot unless my opponent folds, and he may check behind me with a hand he would have folded to a bet, but which beats me. How is this beyond your comprehension?? It might be marginal, maybe even unwise, but it's certainly not insane or anything.

Why do people feel the need to resort to ridiculous hyperbole so often on here?

~ Tilts