View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Top things liberals dissagree with about conservatives

Most hackneyed-type post in the Politics forum:

[ QUOTE ]
And many conservatives, especially the loudest and most influential ones, would say the exact same thing about liberals, which is why it's so hard to have any meaningful discussion. This country has been divided and conquered, and it's pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "political disagreement these days is just so boorish - I'm above it all because I haven't been brainwashed by the party machine" type-post.

As if political discourse hasn't always been boorish.

I can think of some rather partisan posters on this board who consistently have thoughtful and informed posts; posters who I have respect for, yet who I've probably also argued with more than once. Would I call this 'meaningful' discussion? Perhaps not. But discussion doesn't have to be 'meaningful' to derive enjoyment from it; nor does it have to be 'meaningful' to be informative. Merely because someone has strong partisan views and defends/proclaims them loudly doesn't necessarily indicate they've been 'conquered' by anything.

If you're purpose is to rain on the parade of meaningless discussion, go jump over to OOT and have a ball. There's alot more meaningless discussion there than there is here.

If you're purpose is to come and let us all know how we're all wearing tin-foil hats and have been 'divded and conquered', I would claim that there are lots of posters here who have ample levels of independent thought and post interesting views on a variety of topics.