View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Are conservatives simply 25 years behind the curve?

[ QUOTE ]

I take issue with this post and the OP at the same time, because both adopt the same sort of moral absolutism in their attitude, as if EVERY single issue has one side...and you either get it or you don't. I don't think that there are no moral absolutes, but I do think that there is usually more than one way to look at things. That's why words like perspective, opinion, and perception exist.

Holding onto past beliefs is not an indication of being behind the times, necessarily. Liberals are no more enlightened than conservatives; they just believe themselves to be so. On the flip side, simply because the conservatives currently hold the White House and the votes in Congress does not constitute a mandate from Heaven about their ideas and agendas.

Both sides need to understand that emotions of people drive their beliefs, not logic(by and large). It takes extra effort to use logic as the basis of your most core beliefs(and I'm not saying I do this 100%). So...no...conservatives are not "simply" behind the curve...they are not "simply" anything. On the other hand, the fact the conservatives hold a majority does not validate their beliefs, necessarily...and saying that someone is on the "WRONG" side of anything is an ignorant statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T LEAVE!!!!