View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Why are poker players (and in particular these forums) so hostile?

[ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about? I have never posted on 2+2 before, I am certainly not trying to be a troll, and I have never posted anything respectful questions and comments (except a few barely hostile responses to some real jerk posts on the SS forum). I don't know who you have me confused with, but I'm not here to troll, just to learn.

As for "insulting" one of the more respected SS posters ... sfer talks down to SS constantly, and any disagreement with him he tends to treat as some mortal insult. He's often pedantic and childish. He's also sometimes just plain wrong, but the SS people seem to treat him like a god and he cannot ever admit it.

I'm sure he's nice in real life and all, but his posts are often unhelpful, sometimes counterproductive (like his short, empty "I'd do this"-type posts), and sometimes strategically incorrect. Yet when someone points this out, it's a sign of "disrespect"? I'm confident I am as good a SS player as he is, and I am sure there are many SS posters who can say the same, so disagreeing with him or pointing out when his posts are lame should hardly be the capital crime it has become on that forum. There are many good players there who can provide insight even when it is at odds with the "stars" of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to be helpful here...you asked for information earlier in this thread so here goes...

First, when dealing with the angrier people on the forums, the ignore button is a good thing to use if it REALLY bothers you. However, you CAN just ignore them since there will be a small likelihood that you will eventually see them face-to-face, you are just as anonymous as they are.

Second, finding the good information is a job that takes effort. Sometimes, it takes longer than others. There are certain forums I stay away from (WPT is an example) but others like the banter that takes place there. It's an escape from the reality from their real, virutal, or poker lives. I like the serious discussion so I tend to frequent those places. When I need strategy help, I lurk in those forums that provide that. If I have something to offer, I offer it, but my strength is not the poker strategy. Everyone has vastly different goals in their poker aspirations and that includes most of the new/veteran posters of 2 + 2. Sometimes those goals match yours and sometimes they don't match yours. Unfortunately, dealing with it becomes your responsibility - there is not much else to say.

Finally, it all boils down to power - the importance of being recognized for one's own gifts to the world. I don't know the user/player you identified, but if I had a problem with him I wouldn't say it in another place. I am not going to help you with your conflict with him. If that's what this is all about, all warnings aside, I just got hooked and that's a shame because that is just as much of a problem as with the negative comments of others. Seriously, if you are that good, you don't need validation from us...you already have it in your bankroll. Who cares?

Knowing your limitations, knowing your space, and knowing how to deal with the important stuff is far more important than wondering who the best player is...

FWIW

PB