View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Any Aristotle Fans out There?

Do you know where he said this? I'm assuming it's somewhere in his Physics (rough direction would be sufficient for me to look it up, not necessarily an exact spot, although it you have that, better still).

Anyhow, it surprizes me somewhat, as Aristotle was actually a very keen observer (and I do agree that creating theories grossly out of touch with realities is a major blunder). I'd really like to see the context.

For Aristotle, to my knowledge, the whole idea of inertia/impetus as well as friction are a bit of a problem. He did have a gravitational theory that isn't too bad (objects moving toward their "natural places" depending on whether they are heavy/light, etc.--all tying together with his theory of the four elements).

But I honestly don't know how he dealt with issues like the trajectory of a ball that you throw, as well as its speed.

I SUSPECT (please correct me here, too, if I'm wrong) that it wasn't Aristotle himself but rather some of his successors who was "refuted" with Galileo's famous leaning tower of Pisa experiment (essentially, drop a baseball and a marble, and they will both hit the ground at the same time).

Very interesting stuff... I'd like to check out what Aristotle actually said about it.