View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Where to?

I dont think you can point to the invasion of Iraq as the Libya/Lebanon turn around. Libya's nuclear program was failing, they were already on the path to getting the Lockerbie driven sanctions lifted. They made a good move. Mostly driven by themselves.

I dont know enough about Lebanon to comment properly.

I definitely believe Iran's hand has been strengthened. They are establishing close ties with the SCIRI in Iraq. I doubt very much if Iraq will let the US interfere in Iran from their soil as the neo-cons had hoped.

It is not that the Saudis etc are super friendly. But they are likely to be very concerned about a Shia nexus. Some of the oil rich fields in Saudi have significant Shia.

I welcome a definition of free and democratic Iraq. From what I am reading about the constitution drafts that are around, it will require Sharia law for many of the social structures, reduce women's freedoms, and make the fundamentalists stronger. But, as I have said many times, I will be happy to be wrong.

We could have solved the Iraq problem very simply by lifting sanctions and establishing trade relations. I strongly believe that trade relations between us and other countries so strengthens the mutual dependency that threats are diminished. They bind the people as they can see the benefits. Nixon's china experiment (for which he was lambasted by the right) was a brilliant move.

Apology accepted. I was a bit surprised as we have had some good exchanges. But this is a subject that appears to give rise to strong statements --- understandable on all sides.