View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: You Should Play NL (Seriously)

I believe NL is MUCH EASIER to win at than Limit as long as you are playing at a comparable skill level.

I am EV negative at limit yet I absolutely crush NL Sit and Go games and regular NL games. Not just beat them, crush them. My ROI in Sit and Gos is above 50%. I was crushing them from the moment I sat down to play yet I am losing at Limit after over a year of studying the game.

The thing that makes the game so much easier is that you can protect your top pair and similar hands from draws very easily by betting enough to force players out early in the hand. In many hands in limit, you'd love to protect your hand, but can't because you can't bet enough to do so or because you aren't in a position to do so. That's rarely the case in NL. The trick is to bet just enough to make sure the draws won't call, but not enough to be stupid.

When you get a monster pre-flop, you can raise more than a single bet and get more into the pot when you know you have tons the best of it. Not everyone takes full advantage of their monsters. You can even adjust your bet/raise size pre flop to accomplish the task of limiting the field or bringing in more players depending on the type of hand you have.

Another advantage is that you can play hands like AXs and small pairs more often because the implied odds are often huge, where in limit they are often marginal at best.

The big trick is learning to slow play.

At limit, there's only so much extra you can get out of an opponent by slowplaying a set or better. That is often more than offset by the times you will lose a large pot to a suck out and want to shoot yourself. That's why we don't slow play in limt very often. However, in NL, you can sometimes trap a player for his whole stack with a slow play and you can back off when a dangerous card comes and he sucks out on you.

IMO, there's more to NL because you have to know how much to bet to accomplish the task without overbetting, but it is much easier to beat once you learn how to bet to accomplish what you want strategically and how to maximize what you can take from an opponent when you have the nuts.