View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: My Contrarian Opinion

[ QUOTE ]
I measure my success purely on winning sessions > than losing sessions. I want my winning sessions to outnumber the losing sessions 2:1 and not allow any losing session to be more than 2x a normal buy-in while riding a winning session until I get tired sometimes pushing 4-5x normal buy-in's.
If you're not at least thinking at least a little results-oriented you're being naive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend who plays in terms of sessional results. I contiually pose to him the following question, after which he typically changes the subject:
You have just finished a week of poker. Monday - Friday you play for an hour each day and earn yourself 5BB from every session (good job!). On Saturday, you lose 25BB in an 8-hour session. Sunday is the day of rest. You had 5 winning sessions and 1 losing session. Does this make you a winning player?

------
ninja: If you are playing the types of players that measure your success in terms of stack size, then seeing you lose convinces them that they are playing better than you. This will have the unforunate effect of improving the general level of your opponents' play. If enough opponents believe this, then you should leave.