View Single Post
Old 07-26-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Re: I\'m a bit new to SnGs- Need advice

Running the KQs situation through eastbay's SnG analyzer shows this to be a clear fold. This is a great problem to talk about since the ICM analyzer give such a different answer than the general concensus being developed here.

The calling ranges I assigned were:

Hero UTG ( $1040 ) with KQs
Button ( $700 ) -- Top 10% -- 55+,ATo+,A8s+,KQs
SB ( $2235 ) -- Top 15% -- 33+,A7o+,A4s+,KTs+
BB ( $4025 ) -- Top 20% -- 33+,A4o+,A2s+,KJo+,KTs+

With these calling ranges, the EV is -1.2%/-$1.41. A very clear fold.

Only when you set the calling ranges to very tight do you get +EV. For instance, with all callers set at 5% (99+,AQ+) you get an EV of +0.3%. Looser calling ranges, particularly for the big stack, just make the EV worse.

What are the lessons?

- KQs is a sucker hand, even here. When you get called, you are usually behind. And you have 3 potential callers.
- Early position means something, even short handed. Move this hand to the button and it becomes a push.
- You are not the short stack. Change the stacks of the CO and button so you have the short stack, and the EV moves to -0.3%. Still a fold, but not as bad as -1.2%.
- The blinds are not a problem. At 10x the BB you still have time. The blinds need to move to 150/300 for this to be a push (100/200 if you think the table is tighter than the calling ranges I assumed).
- Don't push into big stacks. Move the short stack to the BB and it becomes a big push in most scenarios.