View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 11:09 PM

Default Re: Your ENTIRE bankroll on AA...do you do it?

I think the original question was posed wrong. Or at least it was made too easy to give a quick answer. A better question would've been: Would you gamble your entire net worth on one hand of AA?

I know there are a lot of younger students on here who's bankroll probably isn't much different than their net worth (I don't mean this as an insult in any way).

But for those of us who have had time to accumulate some wealth this modified question should at least give us pause.

Would I do it? No. I wouldn't consider even an 85% chance of doubling my net worth to be worth the 15% chance of losing everything. The change in lifestyle that would come from doubling my net worth, would be significantly less than the change if I lost everything.

Would I gamble my poker bankroll on it? In a heartbeat. But my poker bankroll is only a fraction of all my assets.

You pose a good question: How sure would I have to be in order to put it all on the line? Now that's tough. I'd say somewhere between 99% and 100%. If I could risk half or even 80% of my net worth I might be willing to take much less odds.

Good question and one I think everyone should think about. There are other things we do (and should), risk our money on. We should know our own risk tolerance.