View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Re: The Amazing Comeback from Cancer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate lance armstrong.

I don't know why but I just do.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP, I think people consider it amazing not just because he came back from cancer, but because of how much of his body was ravaged by it. It's not quite the same as when cancer is caught early, and people have a 50/50 diagnosis, etc.

That being said, while I find what he did amazing, I kind of agree with Boris. For some reason I just find him really unlikeable. I can't figure out why.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy.

The guy beats cancer, nearly dies, and decides to show the world that he is still a great cyclist.

Anyone else would have realized how important their wife, kids, and other family is to them. They would have taken account of their life and devoted it not some machismo bullcrap, but to the above.

This guy instead decided to devote himself to being the best at what boils down to an individual sport. He divorces his wife. He leaves his kids for months at a time. There are sound bites of him talking about surviving cancer and getting back on the bike in Nike ads. He turns all People magazine and starts dating Sheryl Crow. The guy's post-cancer life is that of an attention whore on an ego trip.

Is he the best cyclist ever? Absolutely. May be even one of the best athletes ever. Is he a good example of what you can accomplish even after cancer? No doubt.

Is he a good example of how to use your second chance in life? Not in my book.