View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Playing poker to finance my life. A piece of advice needed :)

I don't disagree too much with LIRob's assessment.

Not only has this guy NEVER played online-poker....he possibly isn't aware of how much money one can expect to make at a given limit.

Also - OP has an attitude of 'what could be beter?? sitting on a computer playing poker all day. that's the life!!'

Well, the fact is that many people around here really tire of online-poker even IF they are winning players.

So - we have a double-whammy here:

We don't know if OP is a winning player in the first place.
And he doesn't even know if he's going to enjoy it that much to begin with because he has NEVER done it.

I am not about to tell someone that this is a 'decent idea' with these two strikes against him.

If he's played for a month and has 20k hands or so under his belt and THEN says the following then I think he woulkd have a shot:
he's liking it. he can see where burn-out would be a factor but thinks he can do it long-term anyway. he's working on his game to become a better player. he is interested in exploring the possibility of EVENTUALLY doing this full-time for income.

right now we have:
I like poker. I can beat my buddies in our home-games. My friend suggested I play online-poker for a living. I've never played online before so I guess I'll just start at the .5/1 level and make my living there (even though I don't know how much money one can expect to make there).
I don't know yet if I will actually enjoy online poker, if I'm even a winning player, or if I'll be decent at multi-tabling.

Sorry to be harsh. OP seems like a nice guy. But I think a reality-check is in order here.