View Single Post
Old 07-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Re: it must be hot outside b/c i just coldcalled

Jameser,

I understand the cold-call is an aberration, so I don't want to drive it into the ground. In general, I would be careful about letting pre-flop (or later) decisions be dictated to strongly by reads on individual players. Just because the raiser may be light doesn't mean that others who enter the pot won't tend to have stronger hands; hence, your hand will still decline in value. Other considerations, such as the reduction in implied odds on the flush potential given the two SB price, really do not relate to the quality of raiser's hands at all.

As for the flop bet, I've been thinking and I can't come up with any good reason to do it. Unless you think that you are generating huge bluff equity with the bet somehow, the bet accomplishes very little. Getting a free river card is not that useful, either, because you don't even have many draws you want to see. Very often, your bet is simply playing into the hands of opponents who are slowplaying/waiting to check-raise. You probably benefit the most on a Fundamental Theorem basis by letting the flop check through.