View Single Post
Old 07-24-2005, 04:06 AM

Default Re: Does Military Service Incline One to Be a Bad Player?

[ QUOTE ]
Very interesting thread.

I spent 5 years as an Airborne Ranger. I don't consider myself a fish. PT has me rated as a money bag so I must be doing something right.

Discipline and agression are the two traits that a military person can use to their advantage at the poker table. I can sit and fold for hours and not have it affect me. I am overly agressive though (I'm working on toning it down). At the first sign of weakness, I strike.

I have been told I'm tough to play against but easy to trap (due to my agression). All part of the learning process I guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sort of gets toward what I am thinking. The players I am thinking of tend to be one gear only. This may lead some to describe them as uncreative or undeceptive. When they play loose, they become huge fish. When they have some sense of standards in hands they will play pre-flop or bet/call with after the flop, they still remain predictable (one might almost call them earnest in their betting) that I consider them exploitable even though they might do reasonably well in game conditions where one ought not to bluff very often.

I've never been through military training, but I get the feeling that you are taught highly standardized routines and practices to make coordinated efforts in high-pressure situations more effective and that sort of mindset isn't neccessarily beneficial to most forms of poker.