View Single Post
Old 07-14-2003, 07:48 PM

Default Eight \"First trip to Vegas\" questions

Hello,

I will be making my first pilgrimage to Vegas in a few weeks. As I live in Georgia, there are no cardrooms nearby, and I'm naive as to the workings of a typical poker room. Therefore, I'm adding yet another "first trip to Vegas questions" thread to the board [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I figured this was a more appropriate forum for my questions than the "Brick and Mortar." I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

I do know basically how the actual game itself works (e.g., protect your cards with a chip, don't release a winning hand until the dealer pushes you the pot, don't be a jerk by asking to see everyone's cards at the showdown, etc).

(1) Where, when, and from whom do I get chips for poker? Do I just buy them at a cage somewhere? Do I pay the dealer? A chip-runner? How does this work?

(2) How would I store valuables in my hotel room? Is there a safe? I'm staying at Flamingo.

(3) How do I request a table or seat change?

(4) What poker rooms give comps, what are they, and how do I go about getting one?

(5) If I have to leave the table to go to the bathroom, can I just get up and walk away penalty-free? I assume I can't do this and avoid paying blinds, but if I don't miss the blinds, can I just leave and then come back?

(6) Should I really ask people if they chop as soon as I sit down? Of course, I am hoping the game is loose enough that chopping won't be an issue [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(7) Is there a website with current information on shuttles? It seems they'd be convenient. I have found http://www.flash.net/~mchino/shuttle.htm but if anyone has another site they can share, that'd be great.

(8) I know that the person who made the last bet/raise on the river has to show their hand first. If the river is checked through, who shows first? Is it the player in earliest position, or is it the player with the last bet/raise on the turn?

Thanks a lot for all the help. I really appreciate it.