View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: the most important factors for success

[ QUOTE ]
players who you know can't get away from overpairs

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it shouldn't necessarily go without saying that a critical correllary is that you don't want to be one of these very guys you're looking to fleece. Personally, I've greatly improved my ability to get away from overpairs post-flop by improving my reads on villain using PT/HUD statistics, the timing of bets, my memory of previous hands at the table, and the context & texture of a flop. But I find this skill much harder to exercise and improve than tightening up preflop, watching my position, taking notes on other players, analyzing my hand histories and PT stats, calculating pot odds, estimating implied odds, using moves like the "stop & go" with a set, and other similar skills that I've read about on this forum.

For relatively new players like me (i.e. playing less than a year on line), I think this is the first critical skill to master in order to hold on to big wins while giving up relatively small losses when AA or TPTK faces too much pressure.

Without developing this skill, it's VERY easy to dump a stack with AA or KK as you try to balance aggressive play with the needs to play big pots with big hands (not overpairs) and the need to avoid getting run over by aggressive players (which there wouldn't be too many of, I suppose, if you did a good job at table selection).