View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Another hand from the 2+2 table last night

This is another hand from that 2+2 table last night. Jaran is open raising quite often, and Jopke is doing a fairly decent job of isolating him. I felt that Jaran's raising standards might be a little lower, and knowing this Jopke lowered his 3-betting standards.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jaran raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jopke 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Nfinity caps</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>,Jaran calls,Jopke calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Jaran checks, Jopke checks, <font color="#CC3333">Nfinity bets</font>, Jaran folds, <font color="#CC3333">Jopke raises</font>, Nfinity calls.

Turn: (8.75 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Jopke bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Nfinity raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Jopke 3-bets</font>,Nfinity folds.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

I mainly posted this hand because I got questioned on my play. I really couldn't find a way to explain it right then, maybe I still can't to the fullest extent but I'm going to try anyways.

Pre-Flop: Like I said I thought they both had lowered standards in this situation. Since I haven't seen Jopke do anything particularly laggy I have to say that non-paired wise he would have to be holding at least an AT or better. I think as far as pairs go he might be able to pull this off with as low as a middle pair. I'm not exactly sure what I had Jaran on but the range was deep. I capped to represent a better holding and hope that some previous hands I had shown down would give me more credit. Unfortunately I know that both of them have watched me make plays of this sort before.

Flop: I don't think either player would donkbet overcards here, I don't believe it's the correct play. I certainly think Jaran would have bet an overpair here. Maybe even an underpair like TT. When it's checked to me I can't let them have a free card, and I have to maintain that strong 4-betting hand image, so I bet. With Jaran folding, Jopke's raise tells me very little. If he CR with 2 callers I know I have to get away, In this situation I could still be ahead.

Turn: This is the line that was commented on. The asked why I didn't simply call down. Well, here's why:

Calling down could win me the pot IF
he doesn't have an Overpair to my 77

and IF

He doesn't catch an Overcard on the river if I currently have the best hand.

It's going to cost me 2 BB to get to Showdown, why not put them both in right on the Turn. If by some miracle I improve I win an extra bet while at the same time charging more for jopke to draw if in fact he does have Overcards. In some extreme cases I could get him to fold the best hand (a middle pair better than mine)

Jopke's 3-bet tells me I'm toast. If this player can 3-bet w/ UI OCs then he is either a wayyy better player than me, knows way more about me than I know about him, or both. In any case if the above is true then it's time to find another game.

Sigh I need to find a better seat at these little gatherings.