View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: How does this blind schedule look?

I've been trying to come up with that balance, too. I haven't run a tourney myself, but I'm gathering my equipment to start hosting such events and I've been thinking about that "perfect" structure. Honestly, I think you have yours upside down. To me, a really good structure with balance of play with length would be one where it's faster in the beginning rounds and slower at the end when it counts. Of course, no one ever runs them this way, not even the big events.

The thinking is usually that you want the early rounds slower so everyone "gets there money's worth". This is done at the sacrifice of any play at the end when it really counts and you end up with an all-in fest devoid of skill so that a few more people at the beginning can have a little more action. I say make early rounds the 20 min shorter ones and the later rounds longer with the blinds incrementing up less. Doubling every round is not good, IMO, especially at the end when you're playing for the money.

Okay, this means more players are eliminated early in the name of getting the thing over with, but perhaps I can assume side games will begin once enough are knocked out, so that may not be all bad.

Also, I think your antes are a little top heavy for the blind levels. Don't make your antes anymore than 10% of the BB and shoot for 5%. I've played these pumped up ante tourneys before and they really suck too many chips and make the preflop pots way too big and encourage all-in action. For me, nothing kills a tourney structure more than lopsided antes.