Thread: 49o in the SB
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 49o in the SB

I like the preflop completion. After that, I don't like much of anything you did with this hand.

On the flop, if you're going to continue with the hand after MP3 bets from the button, I think you have to raise. Note that I said "if"...depending on your reads on your opponents, I can see times when a check/fold wouldn't be a bad play. You have to realize that when it's checked to him 4-handed, he's going to bet with a ton of hands that he'll gladly fold on the turn if he gets played back at. Things like pocket fives, a naked A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 78s not to spades, or even plain old ace high/no draw.

Given that you played the flop like a flush draw, I really don't like the donkbet on the turn because he has to know that you'd have check/raised the flop with top pair. The turn lead represents either a true monster hand like a set or a just-made straight, or a lame attempt at a bluff. He obviously chose to interpret it as the latter. I prefer a check/call here.

I really, really hate the check/fold line on the turn. You never really gave him a chance to fold in this hand, other than the opportunity to muck a stone bluff on the turn, and here a huge scare card comes and you check/fold? Well, again, with the way you played the flop & turn this isn't so bad, but...

My first line:
check/raise flop.
lead turn.
bet/fold river.

My second line:
check/call flop.
check/call turn.
bet/fold river.

You have to give him the chance to fold a better hand. With the line you took, I think he's only folding hands worse than your pair of fours.