Thread: 49o in the SB
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: 49o in the SB

Is folding the flop an option? It's probably what I would have done, figuring the pot is small, MP3 is going to have a queen or six or pocket pair sometimes, and, against some draws, I'm not even a favorite. Then again, the best hand isn't always the one that takes it down.

If BB and MP1 are probably going away anyway, then I think I do prefer just calling to checkraising. And I'd be glad when neither of them checkraised, but it doesn't sound like you felt that was much of a threat. (And I can see that your call might have some deterrent effect on a checkraise, too.)

The turn bet seems good to me based on the reasoning you gave. If MP3 might now lay down a hand like A6 or 86, then that's good for you, and if he decides to lay down a hand like KT that he had no intention of pushing further without improving first, then that's good for you too. (And, also, you'd rather not give a free card to a draw, if MP3 would have taken one.)

One possibility that might at least cross MP3's mind is that you might've just called on the flop (instead of raising) in an effort to bring the other two players along. So it's possible he'll worry that your hand is much stronger than it actually is.

On the river, we finally get to a street I probably would have played the same way you did. (The only reason I would've folded preflop, though, is that I'd only have had 1/3 of a SB invested as my small blind, instead of 2/3.)

Anyway, though, MP3 called your turn bet, and the only draw I can think of that you still beat is 87 (well, and 53 also, I suppose). If I was feeling persistent, I might bet-fold (hoping to drive out 55 or 65, I guess), but I like your check-fold plan better.

Someone who's actually played 15/30 can probably give you better feedback than I can, but those are my thoughts. I wonder about the flop call, but overall the hand seems fine to me.