View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM

Default Re: dumbest. question. ever. (preflop raise amount)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion it doesnt really matter if you are raising 4BB, 3BB, 8BB, or whatever you please. The only thing that matter is to raise strongly with AA-QQ even 12xBB or more after 4+limpers. These are hands to make preflop money with.

Best wishes

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree entirely with this. You should not raise any stronger with your better hands. You should be raising the same with all of your hands. Otherwise, people willl notice (even the fish at party will see you betting $2 with KK and $1.25 with ATs etc...).

The OP wants to narrow the field down. Well, as one of the above posters noted, use the 4xBB + 1BB per limper rule. This generally narrows down the field. Now, if no one folds, then just open for 5 or 6 x BB + 1 BB per limper. You should use this rule for no matter what hand you hold.

I love it when people raise small with marginal hands and big with good hands. It gaves away enough information that I know how to play almost perfectly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed that a lot of people online like to raise QQ strongly because "QQ just doesn't hold up that well after the flop".

Then one night at a home game, this wheelchair guy made a big raise preflop and I said to myself "must be QQ". Sure enough on the flop after everybody folded he proudly showed his QQ and announced that "if you want to outdraw me you gotta pay the price!" Of course I laughed out loud.