View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Cool Hotels/Things to Do when in Nashville, St. Louis, MO or Bould

In Boulder:

Take a day trip up to Ft. Collins (about an hour from boulder) to visit the New Belgium brewery (they make Fat Tire) -- not sure what days they do this, but they give you loads of sweet, sweet (free) beer.

Go hiking. Many great trails around the Flatirons; lots of good stuff up in Rocky Mountain national Park (about an hour's drive from Boulder). Heck, even if you don't want to go hiking, it's worth driving up to RMNP.

Drink some more beer. If you like hoppy beers, go to the Mountain Sun or Southern Sun. For bar-hopping, Sundown, Catacombs, and the Pearl St. Pub are imho just about the only real "bars"; most other places are brewpubs or wine bars or restaurants. (Trilogy is a pretty good wine bar. Corner Bar, in the Hotel Boulderado, is a pretty good bar/restaurant.)

There are several good restaurants in town, if you're looking for a nice meal. Frasca is the current "in" place; you will probably not be able to get a reservation (they're typically booked about a month in advance), but go if you can. The people who started it came from the French Laundry and the Little Nell, and it is sweet. (Not complex or pretentious food, but very tasty.) I also liked Full Moon Grill quite a bit; Flagstaff House has an awesome view (overlooks the city) and is good but overpriced (meaning, I dropped ~$350 on a meal for two there once, and have spent over $100 p.p. a couple other times).

The new-ish hotel someone else mentioned is the St. Julien. Pretty good location -- downtown, but unfortunately also bordering a loud, busy street (Canyon). Last I checked, this place was pretty pricey (~$200/night and up, which is a lot for Boulder). The Hotel Boulderado is also downtown and has more character, imho -- it's also not cheap, but sometimes you can get an okay deal.

Hope this helps.

cheers,

mn