View Single Post
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 AM

Default Re: from an Ed Miller quiz...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The opponents in the hand are poor, live game players.

Preflop:

UTG raises, 3 cold call, Hero calls in SB with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], BB folds.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to player on your right who bets. Pot is 12SB now.

Ed advocated a slowplay here. Here are my questions:

1. How big does the pot have to be for you to raise here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not too much bigger than it is now. I'd say if it was even 16 SB I'd raise. There's a possible wheel draw out there, and players with a KxQ[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or KxA[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] would like to see the turn. Especially with live players any pair might call hoping to make two pair. These hands are likely to call incorrectly because they don't realise the strength of your hand even if you check/raise. In a smaller pot they might not make this call. There's quite a difference in what calls you between offering 7:1 and 9.5:1.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
2. Would you still just call if this was Party 2/4? Assume the other 4 are around 30/6/1.2. How big would the pot have to be then?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm even more likely to slowplay at Party 2/4; I don't know if the pot could get big enough without another preflop raise to make me want to raise. The only thing you can protect your hand from is a backdoor flush/straight, or a gutshot. Everything else is either getting such slim odds that you aren't concerned about allowing them to stay in the pot, or can call profitably even for two bets. My strategy in this hand is just to try to get as many bets from as many players as possible and hope my hand is good at showdown. FWIW, once my flop check/raise of PFR whiffed I'd lead any turn.