Old 07-20-2005, 11:30 PM

Default Re: On becoming a caddy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
public country clubs? [ QUOTE ]
Huh? Does not compute.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I'm just saying what I think I know, dunno what doesn't make sense. I guess my plan to not look like a complete dumbass by trying to act like I know what I'm talking about backfired.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Public Country Club" is an oxymoron. A country club is just that - a club, with members. Sometimes country clubs allow non-members to play at certain times. Usually, non-members need to be a guest of a member to play.

You really don't need to know much about golf to be a decent caddie right off the bat. But here's some things you must do:

1. Keep pace with your player. This is the most important thing. Never get too far behind your player so that he/she has to wait for you to get up to the next shot. Run if you have to.

2. Keep the clubs clean. Even though a little dirt or grass on their clubs will make no difference for 90% of the people you'll be caddying for, they don't want to look at a dirty club after they gave it to you. The Caddymaster will show you where you can get a wet towel. Once, I dropped my towel on like the 6th hole and couldn't find it, so I had to run back to the caddyshack to get another one. That sucked.

3. You have to be organized. Keep the clubs in the some slots of the bag they were in. Keep track of how many shots everyone in the group has taken.

4. Watch the ball(s). A huge part of your job will be searching for balls that your blind old fogey players won't be able to see. Many of them can't see a golf ball in the air if it's more than 20 yards away from them.

5. Fix every divot and ball mark, and rake the sand in the bunkers. The caddymaster or the other caddies will show you how to do that.

6. Compliment people on good shots, but don't overdo it. Say "nice shot" or "nice putt" or whatever if they hit a good one. But sometimes, especially if they're a decent player, they know they hit a mediocre shot and some donkey says "oooohhh nice one" just because they got the ball in the air. Good players HATE that.

That's all I can think of right now. Caddying is a good job, but it's not for everyone. I'll be honest, I hated caddying. I did it for one summer. The members were mostly nice people, and the money was good, but I just can't stand being told what to do constantly. I have a problem with authority. But if you can handle being someone's bitch, it's one of the best jobs there is.