View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: poker while i drive

[ QUOTE ]
...I've got this KILLER commute...

[/ QUOTE ]

"BAD BEAT RAGE MEETS ROAD RAGE", Cinnicinati Observer, June 4, 2006. A 37-car pile-up on I-66 has been traced by police to a combination of "bad beat rage" and "road rage". Eric Lungren, 26, was playing poker on his cellphone when his AA was cracked all-in by a fish holding 6-3, who drew runner-runner 3's for a 3-of-a-kind. Enraged and realizing that he was about to miss his turn-off, Lungren forced his way across 2 lanes toward exit 314. However, unknown to him, trucker Tim McFee in the second lane had already been cutoff 2 times by discourteous motorists in the last 5 minutes. McFee decided 3 was just too much, and accelerated his truck carrying 20 tons of shrimp into the back of Lungren's car, starting the pile-up. Before it was all over, 9 people had died in the crash and 37 others were hospitalized."

Actually, although this does create the possiblity for some bizarre accidents, I think it is possible to play poker responsibly while driving. I actually read a very interesting article about a video display system that is in development that would project a computer screen onto your windshield in a transaparent way, so that you could see what was on the screen as well as continue to keep your eyes on the road. Bizarre as that sounds, the article said it ws done in a way so that it was very clear what was on the road versus the screen and the screen didn't interfere with recognizing road situations. That and voice commands sounds like the ideal way to do it.