View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: On becoming a caddy.

If you really want to be a caddie and live in an area where this is possible, definately start playing the game.

You do not need to be good at the game to be a good caddie. It is more important to know the course and to also know your players. You need to know if the guy whos bag you're on can carry that bunker, or if he should lay-up. But you gotta play at least...You never know when someone is going to toss you a club and say 'you give it a shot' while on the course. It would be really bad if you had to say "huh?" when this happened. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And most imporantly, learn the greens you caddie on! I have a couple of local courses that because of the optical illusion, balls appear to break uphill. I watch them get read wrong over and over and over and each time the person just shakes their head after putting. Tell a guy the ball is going to break uphill and then watch it happen and that guy will request you for life.

It would be nice if you knew the rules of the game, but not as important since it is really not your business if the player knudges his ball or not and you don't want to appear to be a rules nazi that he/she would not be comfortable playing 'their' game in front of.

You gotta be a people person and actually enjoy bs'ing with the old guys/gals that are going to be the biggest tippers and will request your repeat services (but don't service the old chicks tooo much, that's just gross)...

(ps...I don't caddie. I just smoke lots of weed and golf a lot)