View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:41 PM

Default Re: AJo, Early Position Question

[ QUOTE ]
But lets assume that on the flop, everybody fold except for the tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a strange assumption to make. A tight player staying on the flop indicates that he did hit something, while loose players will often stay in the hand with poor and mediocre hands. It's more likely that the loose players will stay than the tight players. But anyway...

[ QUOTE ]
Even though you have the highest equity in the field, you are still more likely to lose the hand with five people in than when you are against one tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is irrelevent. You want to win the most money, not the most pots. Take your example:

Against one opponent, you're going to win 45% of the time, and against 5 opponents, you will win only 25% (This isn't exactly true for a variety of reasons, but just hear me out, I'm going to try to make a point), but that doesn't mean the first situation is better.

Your equity in the first example would be 45% of the 4 bet pot, or 1.8 bets. In the second example, your equity would be 25% of a 12 bet pot, or 3 bets.

As you can see, even though you'll win more often heads up in your example, you will win more money in the second senario.