View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:12 PM

Default Re: AJo, Early Position Question

Obviously AJo is not a monster. My question is that if it worth raising in a loose game from under the gun, why is it not worth raising in a tight game from under the gun. I put the variables in Pokerstove, and this is what I found. Against one semi-tight caller, you are about a 55-45 underdog with AJo (AA-TT, AKs-ATs,KQs-KJs, QJs, AKo-AJo, KQ). On the other hand, against five callers, one with the same semi-tight requirements, one with slightly looser requirements, and two random hands, you have the highest equity, but only by 3-4 percent. Also, against the whole field you are about a 75-25 underdog. Even though you have the highest equity in the field, you are still more likely to lose the hand with five people in than when you are against one tight player.

Against five people, and a pot equity of 25%, you do have a pot equity edge in a loose game (albiet a very small one). But lets assume that on the flop, everybody fold except for the tight player. Then your won't it be true that your pot equity would dip below 50%?

These pot equity concepts have had me a little confused since I read SSHE, especially after the flop. Any explanation would be much appreciated.