View Single Post
Old 07-20-2005, 12:29 AM

Default Re: If you were me..............

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, we've established that you can 100% return to work. But here's the question... would you?

Let's assume that after taxes, paying for benefits, etc., you make exactly the same as teaching, or a little more. And let's assume you enjoy it more than teaching. Would you go back? I would think you should. Job security, benefits (for family as well, if/when that comes into play), and retirement options. Giving up that job would be a bad move, I would think.

I voted for "Teach, and it's not even close." I think you have a good thing going, and with summer, weekends, holidays, etc., you can still play regularly while still having "you time". Heck, you can even play in the evening if you don't load the kids up with too much homework.

You have a good thing going, and I can't think of a reason that I, if in the same situation (even though I don't know all the details), that I would give up the job.

P.S. - Bonus points for teaching Physics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I have no intention of being a professional poker player for the rest of my life. My leave is for one year, and one year is all i would take. Now, if I won the WSOP of poker, that would be one thing, but that's not gonna happen. (And if it did, I wouldn't have to play anymore, would I? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]) Even if I won 150K, I realize that this poker boom won't last forever. I'd just save it. I have learned to live modestly after teaching for 9 years, so I don't need lotsa $$$. I also realize the value of the job security, which IMO one cannot put a price on.

It should be noted that teaching 9th graders can take more out of you than most people seem to realize.