View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: Help me reorganize my life: Becoming a grinder (long-ish)

THWAP,

I'm in my first year of practice after just graduating from law school.

Here's some news - if you're not going to spend "a lot" of time studying, then just call the school, ask for a refund of your tuition deposit, and do something else. I'm not trying to sound harsh, but that's the way it is. Get used to it.

When I was in my first year, I was lucky to get in *one* MTT or 4-hour ring game session during the week, and another during the weekend. That's the time commitment that going to law school requires, and if you have any intention of graduating in the top 25% of your class, which you'll need to do to get a decent job (the legal job market sucks right now), you're going to be losing enough sleep studying, much less playing poker.

In case anyone hasn't told you, your chances of scoring a good internship that will lead to a good job will be crippled if you don't do well first year.

So here's my advice - set aside 8-10 hours, at most, per week for poker (studying, reading 2+2 and playing). The rest has to be devoted to school. In the two weeks leading up to exams, don't play a single hand. You'll have plenty of time to play during winter and summer breaks.

The jist of this post is that you chose to go to law school. Make sure that you have your priorities straight. Poker should be on the bottom of the totem pole after family and school (in that order).

If you have any questions about law school, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to help you out.

-Tripp